just in case somebody thought the D3 is nice

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 9 01:42:28 CEST 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 12:30 AM, David Peverley wrote:

> On 04/04/2008, Michael Zacherl <mubar-03 at blauwurf.at> wrote:
>> D300, SB-400, Nikkor 16-85 VR.
>> my very old M lenses work (accept that one ancient AF lens, it's
>> not an AI
>> as far as I know)
>> A Metz 58 AF-1 is on its way.
> Blimey, you copying me? ;-)

errm ... nope ... no 18-200 ;-)
In fact I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to check this cam
(your cam) in Frome.
I almost went for the D60 but then read about a not so good AF.
Hell, one decent SLR every 20+ years is ok, no?
:-)

> What's the Metz flash all about? A bit big
> innit?! :-)

I just played with both - the SB-400 has definite problems when it
comes to indirect lighting by tilting its head.
At ISO 200 its rather weak in an average sized room.
In a room bigger than your living room I can point the Metz into the
opposite direction (i.e. at the wall about 1.5m behind me) and the
lighting is pretty good. I toyed around by using my hand as reflector
etc. and the image got coloured and other fx.
Well no surprise with a guide number of 58.
Funny.
It's a rather big unit, but not that heavy. It's body feels a bit
cheap (plastic) but then again the built quality is good, it sits
perfectly in the hot shoe, the head is very stable and virtually can
point anywhere.
In fact the Nikon version is plug and play.
It's zoom head follows my moves on the lens, it has a built in
diffusor (which I need at 16mm) and a reflector.
It's firmware is upgradeable via USB etc.
There's a smaller one, the 54 AF, but I'm not sure if it makes much of
a difference in terms of size.
I also took the SB-400 for "light" travelling (errm, well, just the
SLR + lens is exactly 1.5kg  ;-)
Ah, and:  besides the tiltable head (this and its size was my
motivation to get it) I dont see that much advantage of the SB-400
over the D300's built in flash.
In fact I think this small thing is pretty good!

       Michael.  (saving up for a D4 from now on  ;-)

--
feed your perception: http://blauwurf.at  <--  new piece online!