Network question

Paul Maddox Mail LIsts EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 26 21:51:45 CEST 2007

Micke,

HUH????
So, you're going to run your wifi point without any access control?

You should have this

Www -> ISP -> ADSP modem -> Firewall -> Switch -> Computers

Now, as long as you bolt down access to your wifi, Tony point is mute
because the only way into your network is through the net, which you've
protected with the firewall in your adsl modem, or through your wifi point,
which you've locked down (WEP + MAC address locking).

As for speeds, if your switch is only 100Mb, then it won't matter if your
PCs are 1Gb, they'll only run at 100Mb.

If you switch is 10/100/1000Mb then your PCs will talk to each other at top
speed, whilst the rest of the network runs at a decreased speed.
Given that wifi is at best 11Mb and ADSL 8Mb, I wouldn't worry about these
being on a 100Mb link.

FWIW, a lot also depends on the type of data you're moving around your
network and the 'backbone' speed of the switch internals. There's a hell of
a difference between a netgear GS516 and a cisco 3750 :-)

Paul