Network question

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 26 21:32:19 CEST 2007

Peter Korsten wrote:
> Mikael Hansson schreef:
>
>> Tony Scharf wrote:
>>> The first one.  you dont want your computers in the DMZ without the
>>> routers firewall.
>>>
>>> thats how I have mine setup, anyway.
>> That's a good point. Didn't think about that.
>> Thanks!
>
> For the computers, you could get away with the OS firewall. But for your
> network disc?
>
> The reason why it works for me is because the modem does its own
> authentication and has its own DHCP server.
>
> But wait a moment, I've got all machines connected to the *router*. With
> the switch, you could run into trouble with allocating network ports. A
> switch just switches, whereas a router has that little bit extra that
> makes it work hassle-free.
>
> For instance, the WiMax modem I've got now will let you connect a hub or
> a switch and run two (or more?) sessions over one WiMax connection, each
> computer getting its own IP address, but then you won't have a local
> network.

I went for plan 1, just moved the computer and netdisc cables to the
switch and attached the switch to the router. It all seems to work ok.
The router is still acting DHCP-server and all computers and discs can
talk to each other.

I hope I'm thinking right about this: When two gigabit-connected devices
talk to each other they won't have to go through the router (which would
reduce speed) instead they have a direct connection through the switch?

/Micke