Question: recording live musicians / clipped audio

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 19 17:15:42 CEST 2007

On 9/19/07, The Dong <dong at f2s.com> wrote:
> Tony Scharf wrote:
> > If you have a standard 8 input audio interface you are using, then why
> > not use 6 stereo mics, and record each one at a slightly different
> > level?   one higher, one lower, and one right in the middle, for each
> > mic placement (so, yeah, your going to want to have a LOT of mics and a
> > LOT of inputs..so its expensive).   Then, if you have any sections that
> > clip, you have a (hopefully a sample and phase accurate) set of other
> > tracks to crossfade over to during the louder sections. conversely, if
> > you have sections that were very quiet and not capctured well on the low
> > level recordings you can swap over to the higher level ones without
> > needing to normalize or do other manipulations.
>
> Good one. If one has a few sets of mics.
> I thought it would take more than a binaural recording for an orchestra.
> Depends..
>
> It might even be fine to simply pick one set, normalise + whatever other
> fiddling you must do and that's that.

Actually..no..you only need on mic to use the above setup, provided
you can somehow multiply its signal to multiple inputs (or at least
multiple tracks).

so, like, take one binaural set which is well placed, and route its
audio to tracks 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 (or more inside your DAW).  on
each set of tracks, setup different input levels and even perhaps
compression, limiting and a pre-eq.  this should give you a LOT of
material to work with in a mix..

now if you have more mikes, you can capture more signals around the
room in a similar manner to build up a suround sound mix if you
wanted...

Just a quick thought :D

Tony