Fun with the Cracklebox

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 18 01:14:23 CEST 2007

Niall Munnelly wrote:
> I bought one of these for herself a few years ago, and I'm
> glad we brought it here.  The jack russell we inherited,
> Ignatz, is _crazy_ for the Cracklebox.  Ears perked and tail
> wagging, he jumps, trying to snatch it from my hands.  It's
> effective for calling him home too, since I can't whistle
> very well.

I have to say, this is a much understuffed part of the market. Synths
for pets. I hesitate.. well, no, I don't hesitate, to question, what
kind of synth would a cat like.

No. Not an Octave f**king kitten.

I'm serious. When your cat has tired of chasing a piece of string, eaten
enough, and is ready to play that strange game of "hide round the corner
and leap out at random at any point in the next hour", what kind of
instrument would you, as a pet synth designer, make.

Obviously ReacTable would be great, but the wretched moggy would just
chase the little bits of aluminium around the place thinking they were
mice. This is to miss the point.

Cats gotta get musical. They been left out of the band for far too long.

And they're more intelligent than dogs, too, so, I think we're talking
OSC protocol rather than midi.

No. I am not barking mad.

Tony (HB)