reacTable at "Music in the Global Village" Budapest

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 10 15:13:23 CEST 2007

Hi,

I just returned from Budapest where I recorded Audio and Video for a
DVD with my EBE ensemble and attended (and performed) at the
conference-slash-festival "Music in the Global Village" there.
(http://globalvillagemusic.net)

on the last night of the festival, my bandmate Ivana Ognjanovic and I
had the opportunity to do a little performance on the reacTable. We
were joined in by Sergi Jorda, one of the inventors of the table and
Marek Choloniewksi with MacBook electronics. A video was shot, I
think we will have it on youtube sometime soon.

Until then I have to say that the reacTable is one fun interface! you
drop the little things (made of transparent aluminum!;-) on the
table, they connect, you turn them, touch them, toss them around and
they change behaviour -- oscillators get more vibrato when you move
them closer to the center for example.  It looks extremely pretty too.

It is made with a combination of free and non-free softwares. The
reactivision part can be freely downloaded and integrated into your
own projects, the soundmaking is a PD-patch that is unavailable to
the public. Theoretically you can make your own reacTable device with
Max/MSP, OSC, Supercollider PD or some such stuff.

If you are interested in such stuff, you should check out the
websites starting from here:

http://mtg.upf.es/reactable/?software

The fun part is: since the table is not a commercial product (they
are talking to SSL who are planning to produce a version in the
10,000 EUR range sometime next year), the MTG-website is very open,
listing links to other, similar inventions and studies.

Sergi Jorda is a great person, very interested in the NIME-kind of
scene ("New Interfaces for Musical Expression"), extremely patient
when it comes to explaining his table and I think also very very
smart...

I'll let you know when the video is up and you can watch us jam with
a nice tool that we only layed our hands on for the first time
several hours before the gig...

Kai

canine_at_waf80_dot_de                            good night europe.
http://kainiggemann.de                           <your name here>
johanniterstrasse 17				  48145 Muenster