Linux problem

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Sep 9 20:06:43 CEST 2007

So... I'm co-sysadmin of this Linux machine that hosts a number of web
sites. It's a stand-alone server, running Centos... something or other.

The problem is that the machine is really busy, and now crashes very
regularly. That it's busy is not something that we can fix right away
(we'd have to invest in new hardware, which takes money that we don't
necessarily have), but why is it crashing? Isn't Unix, and by extension
Linux, supposed to be stable?

What happens is that some operation in httpd or exim causes a 'null
pointer' fault in the kernel, and then the whole thing goes. Or some
mysql query won't finish and takes up all processing time, requiring us
to do a 'kill -9' on mysqld.

Is there anything simple we can do to solve this problem? My solution
would be to install Solaris, but you know, that's not my decision to make.

- Peter