Sound Synthesis

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Sep 1 17:26:38 CEST 2007

Michael Zacherl wrote:
> Did they emulate the horrible crosstalk these machines have?
> Maybe a Synthi 100 Emulation would be great ... *cough*

The crosstalk is interesting, because each leakage path is a high pass
RC circuit, where the R is dependent upon the input impedance of each
unconnected destination and varies when destinations are connected, and
the C depends on proximity of wires both inside the patchbay and
elsewhere. Given that most of the circuits in the VCS3 give a degree of
distortion, any patchbay setting which involves feedback (ie, even when
no patch pins are present), results in complex dynamics which can only
be approximated when a high degree of oversampling is used in a
simulation of all the patchbay leakage paths (I suspect there are
additional leakage paths occuring in the VCS3 cicuit - there wasn't much
point in taking care with that patchbay goofing things up).

The filter, of course, is another matter...

Those using the digital version may heave a sigh of relief (even Herr
Zacherl...), but then, what chaos you are missing! That chaos is present
in the character of nearly every sound ever recorded on a VCS3.

Tony (HB)