Sound Synthesis

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Sep 1 14:03:20 CEST 2007

Hi Michael

Michael Zacherl wrote:
>> For all the things that are right with MAX, calling that a good GUI
>> seems a bit far-fetched to me. Ugh...
>
> well ... since that thing is so flexible that lies entirely in the hands
>   of the designer.

Well, to some extent. Theoretically, you can extend it with custom
modules to the point of being able to do everything - but you can just
as well develop your own synthesizer in whatever environment from
scratch then.

> If you're talking about the developer's view ... well yeah, it can get
> complicated ;-)

I'm not so much worried about things getting complicated. MAX actually
helps handling complexity reasonably well. From a developer's view, I'm
only worried about the lack easy state output of the modules (e.g.:
What's the current delay time in ms? Needs about 5 or so modules to
produce that info...), otherwise I find it actually quite handy.

I just find it rather convoluted to create any usable UI that would be
understood by a performer who's not a MAX programmer at the same time
(mind you, with MAX the performer tends to be the programmer as well).
In fact, I'd probably hack the UI in a completely different environment
and control MAX with an OSC protocol or similar...

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch