ADSL problem... any ideas?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 5 23:36:02 CEST 2007

> Some websites work great, others don't appear at all.  For example,
> Yahoo
> works, Google (any Google site I can think of) doesn't, various random
> websites I've made usually work, as well as some parts of
> Sourceforge, but
> Slashdot and BBC News doesn't.

By 'works' .. define what fails?

> I've been through all of the connection settings on the phone with
> the tech
> support people, and they all appear to be right.  Indeed, they must
> be pretty
> much there, because I can get to some websites completely fine.  So
> I managed
> to get to the D-Link website and find that this box isn't running
> the newest
> firmware - gonna sort that next week, as I couldn't download it
> from their
> FTP site (which didn't work), so need to take it with me on a
> memory stick
> from home!  :-S

Would be sensible - some routers have dodgy firmware that really does
screw up routes and subnets ..

> Maybe the router is just borked, but it came from a relatively
> reliable source
> who said it was working fine, so I've no reason to think it would be.

Could be a dodgy filter/blacklist setting on the router itself.  Have
you tried the obvious: full factory reset?  Can you dump the config
of the router to a local machine (yours for example) for user-
readable view of the config?

;
--
Jay Vaughan