God, it's Great to be on Wintel Sometimes

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 27 23:11:17 CET 2007

Hi Cyrille

Cyrille.Damez at laposte.net wrote:
> pd-extended gives you pd + most of the additional libraries available in one
> readymade package, for Win, OSX or Linux.

Well, with 0.38.4-extended, which is what I used, GEM wasn't available
on the mac, and the big part of the video library (e.g. the Jitter
equivalent) was only on Linux.

> I wouldn't really consider pd an audio app though. It's more a programming
> language (actually, one of the regulars of the pd-list made a Turing machine
> with it to prove that it was Turing-complete).

Absolutely. It's clearly a programming language, although with a
different approach (data-flow) than the typical environment. While it's
clearly more approachable at first sight than, say, C, one needs all the
analytical skill to get beyond the basic "hello world". Given the many
successful artists that use PD and similar, that goes to prove that
programming is not as intractable as some might think...

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch