catastrophic failure (CCTV Drive)

Joost Schuttelaar EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 16 11:35:39 CET 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Larry Pham wrote:

> I've tried a bunch of linux distros for data forensics and I can't
> even get the drive to detect so I can't moun it and so i have not
> been able to even back it up.

For mounting you need a file system Linux recognizes. There is none so
it won't mount. But, you can just copy the raw binary data from the
disk to make a backup. When you connect the drive it should come up
as /dev/hdaX probably. Use dd.

This is the first thing you should do, regardless.

Then what about placing another drive in the CCTV box, formatting or
resetting it on the box (or whatever the procedure is to add a new
drive). Taking the drive out, and copying the raw binary data on that
drive from your image, except for the first 1024 bytes? That might work.

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL