Recovery (was Re: serious WANT! Samsung SSD 64g drive ..)

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 13 01:21:30 CET 2007

On 12.11.2007 5:17 Uhr, Tony Scharf wrote:

> The files system was NTFS on the music system. my backup drive is EXT3
> because I used knoppix to make disk images to it.  When I went to
> format a new backup disk, I screwed up and accidentally formated the
> data drive.  To make matters worse, linux did NOT see the raid
> controller, so I ended up formatting just one of the stripped hard
> drives.  When I went to do the recovery, It was only able to recover
> every other stripe.

In hindsight it's easy to speak wise, so forgive me for repeating the
things you experienced anyway ...
However, in order to access data on RAID-Arrays driven by hardware
controllers you need the proper device drivers on every OS.
However, on PC-standard hardware there is an extended BIOS on the
RAID-controller, but that's not used because of it's very slow
performance. Nothing new so far.
So Knoppix or any other flavour of OS needs to have the drivers handy to
  be able to access the data properly and more importantly directly
(without utilising slow BIOS functions).
Otherwise it's just a bunch of disks. But you know that.
What I didn't get:
You got a system drive, the stripped data drive (two disks?) and this
external USB drive?
Drawing an image file from a system drive makes sense, but from a data
drive? Why would you want to do that? Doing that on a per file basis is
much more flexible.
Again, forgive me this question, but did you ever go through the
recovery procedure? At least by pretending to recover?
(many utilities like rsync offer a "dryrun" mode for analysis and tests)
Reading again your lines, I suspect Knoppix never was able to deal with
your RAID ... but I'm almost sure I missed something.

    Michael.

--
nonconform? noiseconform: http://blauwurf.at/