New GP2X system: Pandora == H4WT!!@!@!!!

paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Dec 21 10:55:19 CET 2007

Jay,

> Oh man, I just got a woody:

oew.

> http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/20/gp2x-community-system-dubbed-
> pandora/#comments
>
> Great!  Especially great: the community is doing this.

looks ok, Of more interest to me would be the battery life :-)

> Why can't we synth nerds do the same, eh?

no agreement could be reached on a common format.
Take modular synths, there are to the best of my knowledge, no less than 5
companys making modular synths out there, each with different format for
size and/or connectors. Some also have different power supply
requirements.

FWIW, I think the closest we got 'synthwise' was the Chameleon, I still
think there was a lot more milage in the concept.
I think it just needed a 'hard core' of people to work on it and also a
'simple' UI option for people who can't do DSP programing. Perhaps
something like the nord modular interface?
If you remember Oval did that with his Chameleon at synthdiy 2006!
http://gallery.diy.synth.net/main.php?g2_itemId=978

Just thinking out loud.

Paul