iTunes

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 19 18:55:21 CET 2007

Andy Tarpinian wrote:
> I think it's a case of you needed a company, like a record label to
> hold digital distribution rights for your songs.

Ummm. Start your own company?
Fake a company?
Whatever...

This middleman system makes little sense to me for pure digital distros.
Is its only purpose to make it more difficult for artists to be free to
be in charge of digital distribution themselves? A way to prop up the
likes of the RIAA and dumb down artist autonomy or capability?
Or to limit and stifle content to 'that which they deem suitable for
distribution'.

As far as I can tell, iTunes IS (or could/should be) one of the digital
distributors for artists music directly, not through a proxy.

Anyone can fill in a form, upload some content and receive payments!
If they are allowed to, that is.

I guess Apple signed away lots of rights to the muso biz before they
first started?

I'm sure someone can explain it better, but it still won't make much
sense, heh.

No iTunes for me in any taste or form, evar! ;)