Sound Synthesis

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 30 19:50:16 CEST 2007

Hi Peter

Peter Korsten wrote:
> They've always looked desirable, with their flashy red colour. Are the
> Nord Leads really that good? Forget for a moment that you need external
> effects, and, presumably, a fairly large budget.

Obviously, "good" is always relative to what you're looking for in a
synth. The Nord Leads really win thanks to their immediacy - programming
a patch from scratch on the Lead is an absolute joy. The sound is good
and direct, although not necessarily very "analog" or "warm" (I can only
speak for the first generation, though). Also, something like a recent
Virus has *a lot* more depth on the programming side, but then again, a
lot of that is not required for your bread and butter stuff.

I think while many synths were designed to look impressive on a
datasheet, the guys at Clavia really put some thought in the design on
what is *really* required, and left out anything that might distract and
just clutter the interface. It's a performer's synth, not a sound
designer's heaven (that's what they targeted the Nord Modular for).

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch