Sound Synthesis

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 29 17:49:03 CEST 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 04:40:31PM +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

> > I should also have asked why.
> >
> > Why subtractive?  Is it easier to get your head around? Is it easier to
> > achieve (decent) results?
> >
> Yes, and yes. Also, I agreed with what Tony said.
>
> My alternative answer would be "whatever synth has the most factory presets"
>
> :)

Word.  The subtractive architecture informs almost every
form of synthesis.  Even models that didn't initially have
it, such as FM synthesis, have embraced it - cf FM8 or
Yamaha's FS1r.  A good filter makes almost everything sound
better - sometimes more hackneyed, but better.  I'd say
subtractive is as close to a standard as you can get.

FM takes a lot of practice before you can approach it
deterministically, and additive even more so.  There's a
reason so few people have kept their Kawai K5000s for very
long.

--
Yours,
Niall.