New gear (Beware of GAS)

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Aug 24 22:29:36 CEST 2007

Joost Schuttelaar wrote:
> On 24-aug-2007, at 22:04, Paul Maddox (Mail LIsts) wrote:
>
>>> http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/other/prophet08.htm
>> God, I was sooo hoping this wouldn't make it to this list.
>> My tuppence ;- Why re-invent the wheel?
>
> I like it :) It's not original *at all*, but it looks like a very
> nice classical analog synthesizer. We've seen it before, but no
> reason to stop making them. Would be like saying to not make any new
> guitars.

Yeah - not original - that's a valid criticism. However, I do see
something positive in this - very positive! This particular instrument
is now defined - as Joost says, like a guitar - it's suddenly become an
archetype. Instrument designers can now explore the inner space of this
domain, much as guitar luthiers investigate the properties of various
woods, strings, soundboard reinforcements etc, (and as Stradivarius did
his thing too, and as Miles Davis explored the trumpet & Flugelhorn by
using different mouthpiece designs and mutes). It's not as exciting from
an engineering point-of-view, and perhaps a little frustrating, as it
suggests "synthesiser" means just this one thing. From a musical point
of view, it is exciting, because the inner space of musical instrument,
whether it be bass drum, polysynth or computer, is far greater than the
outer space - the latter being restricted by the conscious mind of the
musician, while the former is limited by the unconscious - which some
might argue is unlimited.

Big question is: what OTAs is he using for the filter. To get that
Prophet sound you need the SSM chips, which (I think) are expensive
and/or well and truly out of production.

Tony (HB)