New gear (Beware of GAS)

Paul Maddox Mail LIsts EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Aug 24 22:04:40 CEST 2007

Micke,

> http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/other/prophet08.htm

God, I was sooo hoping this wouldn't make it to this list.
My tuppence ;- Why re-invent the wheel?

I mean, it's not like it's even someone copying and adding to a prophet 5,
its the same guy who made the original? The evolver and poly-evolver are far
more interesting, sonically, than yet another classic synth wanna be
(voyager anyone?)

Also, seems that some sections are missing (polymod?)

Also, read the lines *CAREFULLY*, in particular - "100% analog audio signal
path".

Doesn't mention how the oscillators are generated, I suspect, FPGA.
I'm intrigued, as a designer, how the *hell* he hopes to hit the rumoured
target price of $2000.

And one other thing, I think it looks ugly as hell, no finesse, no style and
everything in nice neat 'blocks'.

Just my thoughts.

Paul
P.s. Thanks to whoever got the list up :-)